Our Commitment to Environment
As a concerned corporate citizen, HPCL is committed to environment protection and constantly endeavors to ensure that its increasing scale of operation does not lead to environment degradation. HPCL has consistently held the level 8 of International Safety Rating System (ISRS) implying the corporations internationally accredited standard. HPCL's efforts towards environmental protection and safety measures have won acclaims from all quarters and have brought it several awards from Government as well as Non Government Organizations.
The “Environment Policy” adopted by the Corporation commits all its operations in such a way that environment protection is automatically ensured. Both the refineries of HPCL have established systems and procedures ensuring compliance with MINAS standards and other statutory stipulations of CPCB and State PCBs. Extensive green coverage has been provided in the Refineries and continuous efforts have been sustained in the areas adjacent to the refineries. HPCL consciously promotes environmental awareness among its employees across all ranks and offers help to Govt. and NGOs for spreading messages in that direction. The company's commitment to a sustainable development strategy is a matter of great regard.
HPCL's Effluent Treatment Plants take care of process waste water, floor wash water and tank farm drains. API separators and skim ponds handle cooling water discharge. SO2 emission is controlled by sulphur recovery units. FCC Unit has a CO Boiler to burn emitted CO so that no amount is released to the atmosphere. The plants have been set up according to the best industrial standard with the ability to utilize full capacity. As far as the impact of the newly implemented projects is concerned, the Indian petroleum sector has never been so thoroughly scrutinized to chalk out the most efficient balance between industry and environment.
The major environmental projects like DHDS have been completed and commissioned for producing HSD with less than 0.25 % sulphur. The Refineries have Continuous Ambient Air Monitoring Stations inside the premises to measure the quality of ambient air in and around the premises in coordination with State Pollution Control Board to meet the regulations of Ministry of Environment and Forests. HPCL's environmental policy is multi - faceted with differentiated provisions for different products. The accurate identification of the risk zone and the undertaking of suitable projects monitor the environmental safeguards properly.
Environment Protection Measures
Mumbai & Visakh refineries have consistently met the statutory regulations and standards set by Pollution Boards and Ministry of Environment & Forest, Govt. of India. Both refineries have been certified as ISO 14001. Both refineries have carried out various proactive environmental protection steps as listed below:
- Three new RSPM Analyzers were installed and commissioned at all three Ambient Air Monitoring Stations in the refinery
- Thirteen Stack Analyzers were installed and commissioned on major fire equipment in the refinery
- Mechanical Oil recovery from oily sludge has been started
- Processing of Oily sludge is being done to recover oil
- Bio-remediation farm construction for the treatment of Oily sludge has been started
- Aerobic Vermi Bacterial (AVB) system for treating 200kgs per day of canteen waste has been commissioned
- In March 2010, Mumbai Refinery completely switched from Naphtha to Regasified Liquid Natural Gas (RLNG) as feed to Reformer in Hydrogen Unit and firing of all the furnaces in DHDS complex. Some other advantages of using RLNG instead of Naphtha are:
- Hydrogen yield is around 20% higher
- Savings in Demineralised water & Steam
- Increased Catalyst Life & Reformer fuel savings
- Lower Steam consumption for Reforming reactions due to lighter Hydrocarbons
- Pretreatment not required as compared to Naphtha for removal of sulphur