FeedbackComplaints Contact Us

Refineries History

English
Image: 

Mumbai Refinery

Mumbai Refinery HPCL’s Mumbai refinery, one of the most complex refineries in the country, is constructed on an area of 321 acres. This versatile refinery which is the first of India’s modern refineries, symbolizes the country’s industrial strength and progress in the oil industry. Mumbai Refinery has grown over the years as the main hub of petroleum products. The refinery has reached to present level through several upgradation and restructuring processes. A chronological summary of the developments is provided below:

  • M/s Esso commissioned in 1954 with a crude processing capacity of 1.25 MMTPA
  • Lube refinery, Lube India Ltd, was commissioned in 1969 with a capacity of 165 TMTPA of Lube Oil Base Stock (LOBS) production
  • Crude processing capacity increased to 3.5 MMTPA during 1969
  • Government of India took over Esso and Lube India and formed HPCL in 1974
  • Expansion of fuels block was carried out by installation of new 2 MMTPA crude units in 1985
  • Second expansion of Lube Refinery took place to increase the capacity of the refinery to 335 MMTPA, so far the largest in India.
  • The current installed capacity of the refinery is 6.5 MMTPA

Visakh Refinery

Visakh Refinery The Visakh Refinery is also an important contributor to HPCL's Petroleum products requirements Visakha Refinery was commissioned with an installed capacity of 0.65 Million Metric Tonnes Per Annum (MMTPA) by Caltex Oil Refining (India) Ltd. in 1957. This was one of the first major industries of Visakhapatnam and first oil refinery on the East Coast. After the nationalisation, HPCL has transformed itself into a mega Public Sector Undertaking and it is second largest integrated oil company in India. The summary of development of the refinery is given below:

  • The first East Coast Oil refinery was commissioned as Caltex Oil Refining India Ltd. (CORIL) in 1957 with a crude processing capacity of 0.65 MMTPA
  • The refinery was subsequently taken over by Government of India in 1976 and merged with HPCL in 1978
  • The refinery's crude refining capacity increased to 4.5 MMTPA during the first expansion in 1985
  • The refinery's crude refining capacity increased to a further 7.5 MMTPA during the second expansion in 1999 and is currently 8.3MMTPA effective April 2010
  • Diesel Hydro desulphurization (DHDS) project was commissioned in the year 2000 to meet BS-I/II specification of diesel. The facilities were further augmented in 2005 by addition of 2nd Reactor in DHDS unit for supplying BS-III grade diesel

Quick Links