General SH & E
In HP GAS SAFETY, HEALTH & ENVIRONMENT have continued to gain increasing importance, and rightly so, in view of the ecological imbalance that the world is facing at large. HPCL as a responsible Corporate Citizen has always strived to strike a right balance between operating its business and maintaining a sense of harmony with its surroundings.
It is the PEOPLE who make their working environment safe by adopting safe work practices and it is these work practices that form a part of any Environment, Health & Safety(Sh&e) Policy. the Objective of SH&E Policy is not only to bring about awareness, but to also promote a pollution free environment; and create a healthy surrounding and safe working conditions by constantly guiding all our actions within a consciously recognized and adopted set of standards.
The SH&E Policy is atestimony to HP GAS's Commitment towards protection of environment as we have a great responsibility to not only protect the health&safety of our colleagues but also hand over a safe word to the future generation to come. we follow the SH&E Policy, not only in word but in spirit, and actively contribute towards achieving its objectives.
HP GAS committed to conduct it's business in the way that protects the safety of personnel involved in the business including the customers and the public.It's our goal to have our business 100% free from accidents, injuries and occupational illness through the active participation of every one involved in our business.
To meet goal of 100% accident free operation HP Gas carry out following:
- Design, Install, implement and maintain facilities which control safety risks.
- Comply with statutory regulations and standards for controlling the risks.
- Train the personnel working at work place for safety aspects, safe behaviour and effective use of equipment's to avoid any incident/accident.
- Undertake reviews, analyze, evaluate and install optimum value available safety/operational equipment's for achieving the accident free operations economically.
- Comply with satutory regulations & regulation of OISD(Oil Industry Safety Directorate), Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas,New Delhi(india) for safe operation of plants.
R A & DMP(Risk Analysis)-RA studies being conducted as and when required at Plants/Import facilities to analyze the risk involved and how to manage the risk.
Necessary measures taken to mininmize the risk at work places.
DMP(Diaster Management Plan)- On site & off site DMP has been prepared in consultation with local administration and other concerned statutory authorities to control on any emergency/exigency situation. Monitoring for improvement and well control for safe working. SH&E Department carry out internal safety audits and coordinate for 100% compliance of internal & external safety audits recommendations.
Following are key activities of SH&E:
- Security of property and Personnel
- Operational Safety
- Safety Audit Programs
- Product Knowledge
- Incident/Acdient/Near Misses investigation for root cause analysis
- Emergency Response and File Protection.
- Environmental protection
- Safety, Training, Health records.
HP GAS is committed to create a healthy working atmosphere and to overcome on any kind of OcupationalHealth hazard associated with LPG at work place. HP Gas have plans to evaluate health risk is any at work place, and take appropriate measure to overcome on such risks.
HP GAS has engaged CDP(Company Designated Physicians) and ( or ) made arrangement with near by hospital for regular medical check up/monitoring health & handling of medical emergency of the employees.In addition company has got medical centers at our main controlling offices at metros. In addition our employees are medically insured as per HPCL Policy. we comply with statutory regulations on "HEALTH".
Few plants have carried out Occupational Health Survey and implemented the recommendations of survey report. HP GAS plans to carry out occupational health survey at all the plans and implement recommendations of surveyor.
Training on Occupational Health and Environment are regularly imparted to employees to encourage them to be concerned and respect the environment and make them understan that every one is responsible for maintaing healthy environment and adopt appropriate working practices.
HP GAS is committed to conduct it's business in the healthy and environmental friendly. HP GAS plans to carry out study on environmental risks at all the plants and implement recommendations of survey Various Environment Programs are done for betterment of environment in and around work place. Training on Occupational Health and Environment are regularly imparted to employees to encourage them to be concerned and respect the environment and make them understand that every one is responsible for maintaining healthy environment and adopt appropriate working practices.
We comply with environment standards and statutory regulations/requirements on environment like:
Air & Water pollution prevention, Waste management procedure etc.
Given below values to Environment Eco Friendly:
- Regularly promoting to convert Oil Fuel Vehicles in to Auto LPG so that pollution is reduced and becoming more environments friendly
- Plants/import facillities of HP GAS are ISO 9001:2000 Certified Plants
- MLIF(Mangalore Import Facilities) is ISO 14001:2004 Certified Plants
- Plants have taken initiative for obtaining ISO 14001:2004 certification. work in progress
- Availability of Management system for any sludge/Solid waste disposal. We plan to have ETP(Effluent Treatment Plants) at our major plants to ensure that no pollution go out of plants through waste
- Water harvesting plant has been installed at few plants. MLIF has planned to install shortly second harvesting plant
- Regular plantation and maintaining green belts
Under ISO 9000 Certifications:
- Plants/Import Facilities of HP GAS are ISO 9001:2000 Certified Plants
- MLIF(Mangalore Import Facilities) is ISO 14001:2004 Certified Plants
- Plants/Import Facilities has taken initiative for obtaining ISO 14001:2004 certification
- Mangalore LPG Import Facilities (MLIF) is ISRS (International Safety Rating System) Level 7 Certified location. It's the First Marketing Location in Oil Industry in India who has got ISRS level certification
Major Fire Fighting Facilities:
- Sufficient capacity Fire Fighting Engines
- Automatic Fire Fighting System - Quarzoid Bulb heat detection system for detection of any fire and actuate for Auto fire fighting system and operating water sprinklers for extinguish fire. Also push buttons Auto fire fighting system is provided
- Sufficient water storage as required for 4 HRs fire fighting are provided
- GAA Monitoring System to detect any leakage of LPG and giving alarm for Fire fighting
- Pressure Vessels are provided with over filling alarm system and actuate auto shut off pumps/compressors system
- Safety Equipment's/PPE's/Safe Clothes for safe working
- Effective communications systems
- Electrical tripping systems to trip off VCB/OCB/other electrical circuits in case of any leakage/short circuit
Under Safety Activities
Mock Drill Considering LPG locations are very risky, every one working at such location needs to be trained to manage any exigency situation. They are given training by way of Mock drills. HP GAS carry out 2 mock drills in a month at each plant so that personnel working at place are enough trained to meet exigency situation.
Mock Drill Involving External Agencies A goal of 2 mock drills in a year is set by HP GAS, so that personnel working at place are well trained and active to meet any kind of exigency.
The utmost care is given to import training to company employees, Contractor workmen, security personnel, Trucks crew, Cylinder Delivery Men and Mechanics. Several training programs covering several peoples have been organized and is a continuous process.
In current year as of Feb.2005, over 20000 personnel have been covered under training programs by HP GAS.
A training project “UTSAH” for organizing Behaviour and Functional Training programs. HP GAS has covered various locations under this program and programs are continued till all LPG Plants are covered.