HPCL has a full-fledged Corporate Training Department, to augment the learning and development requirements of its officers.
The HR Department's Vision is âExcellence in harnessing the full potential of all employees for becoming a World Class Energy Companyâ.
With this Vision in focus, the Corporate Training Department's vision is to âCreate value through enhanced competencies and be a strategic partner to business by enabling employees realize their full potential through innovative and progressive learning initiativesâ.
Basis the above, the key focus areas of the Department are as under:
- Improve the performance of Employees in their respective assignments
- Enhance competencies to take up higher responsibilities
- Strengthen the Leadership Pipeline
- Bring cultural change from Command & Control to Team based structure
- Leverage technology in human resources development
- Facilitate learning in the organization and build a "Learning Organization"
The specific training needs of individual employees are identified through Competency Mapping Exercises. The Training Department interacts with all Business Units / functions to identify and design training programs to cater to these needs. These programs enable employees to enhance their skills and realize their full potential.
The Training Policy at HPCL provides broad directions to guide the learning solutions and initiatives.
- Management Staff
- Entry level: Samavesh - (Induction/ orientation Training) facilitates a new employee to build a sense of belongingness.
- Supervisory level: Employee is equipped with function specific inputs and job related technical skills.
- Managerial Level: Employee is exposed with the principles of Management which will help blend theory with practice, with focus on leadership development. HPCL has developed "Project Akshay" for development of leadership pipeline.
- All training initiatives are planned in order to address new needs required by change in the market scenario.
- Non-Management Staff
- Trainings with focus on Safety at locations, Skills relating to job requirement - (technical, computer operations, team spirit etc.).
Identifying Training Needs
- Individual Level: Mainly through recommendation from the Performance Appraisal System
- Functional / Departmental Level: Customized Training programs are developed for the departments in consultation with the SBU/Functions
- Organizational Level: Individual Development Plan obtained from the Competency mapping exercise is used to provide specific Training to bridge the observed the employee skill gaps
- Other Training Plans for enhancement of the officers' competencies are scheduled
Training Plans: In-Company Programs
The In-company programs are conducted through internal faculty, external faculty and external courses. Focus is given to the development of core internal faculty members, who will effectively train employees at different levels of the Corporation.
HP Management Development Institute, (HPMDI) Nigdi
HPCL has a full-fledged, well equipped Training Institute at Nigdi, Pune, standing testimony to the value that HPCL places on training. Away from distractions, it is the âTemple of learningâ by virtue of its perfect learning ambience. HPMDI is equipped with the best infrastructure conducive for effective learning. It is also having adequate recreational facilities to keep the employees occupied before / after learning hours.
The faculty is largely drawn from premier institutes or reputed independent training consultants. They are academicians and professionals who are well versed with the updated techniques and changing trends in the field of professional training. Tools like Group discussions, Role plays, case studies, presentations etc are used in the training.
The training plan for the year for each Business Unit/Function is finalized after mutual discussions with them. The SBU specific requirements due to the change in market scenario and thereby required competencies are delved upon. Then suitable Consultants/practitioners are identified and customized programs are designed in consultation with line functions.
Training Plans: External Seminars/ Conferences
HPCL nominates officers for external seminars and conferences in connection with their functional requirements.
Advanced Management Programs are organized for officers of levels DGM and above, by reputed Business Schools like ASCI- Hyderabad, MDI- Gurgaon, ISB- Hyderabad and IIM-Kolkata, including visit to select foreign countries.
HPCL also sponsors Study Tour for employee groups to enrich their knowledge and skills, a few employee groups for select foreign training to enrich their knowledge and skills, in the form of select foreign training.
Various e-learning programs on defined competencies, including Online certification courses on Project Management, Supply Chain Management, different e learning resources on various behavioral areas are facilitated.
Learning Centers are available in all Zones and Corporate HQO for accessing information through internet, books and CDs. leading to learning.
Education Refund Plan (ERP)
Education Refund Plan (ERP) enables the employees to undertake academic courses to further their self-development process, in relation to Corporation's requirement.
Study leave policy
For employees interested in higher studies, to further on their own, Corporation has a detailed Study leave policy.
Based on the post-training evaluation, the Training department continuously monitors the effectiveness of the facilitator and relevance of the content. Alterations / modifications take place on this basis. Similarly Participant assimilation of training is also recorded.
Summer Internship/Training for students
Students undergoing Graduate / Postgraduate professional courses from reputed Management and Engineering Institutions will be engaged for Summer Internship for a period of 6 to 8 weeks during April-June every year.
Message regarding Summer Internship 2012: We appreciate the response for summer internship from numerous colleges and students. Since our requirement are fulfilled, the activity of receiving applications is closed.